Wednesday, January 19, 2011

A little black spray paint goes a long way

The majority of the projects I do can be time consuming. So, it is nice to pull out a can of spray paint every now and then and give something a quick fix and a bit of rejuvenation.

When we had our heating system installed a few years back we were given the basic ugly brown registers to cover the ducts. As I re-do a room, I give the register a makeover too. I am going with black spray paint. I am staying away from light colors to avoid dirt showing.

Because this was in the bathroom, the moisture in the air has caused it to peel and rust.




I gave it a light sanding to remove any peeling paint or rust. I also gave it a good cleaning by scrubbing it with warm water. Once completely dry, I took it outside and sprayed it with black spray paint.

I let it dry completely before putting on the final coat. Once the final coat was completely dry, I put it back in the bathroom. What a change!



While the black spray paint was out, I decided to tackle a mirror that has been put on the back burner. I picked this mirror up at a tag sale years ago for $5. I painted it red.



Since then it has changed rooms, therefore needed to change colors. I decided to go with black. I placed recycled paper on top of the mirror and taped it off. This saves you the time of having to scrape paint off in the end. I sprayed the first coat on lightly.




I sprayed two additional coats. The final result...Not a major transformation, but it sure was easy!




Please take the time to check out my Etsy seller GIVEAWAY

Take care,
Lisa

13 comments:

  1. CUTE !!!!!
    And get idea for the heat vent cover!

    Do you ever rest!!!!???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the spray everything to make it pretty and new! Oh ps~i grew up in East Windsor, CT. Love NW CT, and miss those charming New England towns!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i just love glossy black on frames like that! gorgeous! and of course now your bathroom vent looks much nicer, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a HUGE fan of glossy black spray paint! You did a great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the vent transformation. And the mirror is awesome! I can't wait till our weather is warmer that I can spray paint some more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know how I love spray paint! It's like magic :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Spray paint is amazing! That mirror is awesome! I love the frame!

    - Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE both of them. I really love black vents. I didn't know I'd love them black. But I do! And the color is practical!

    The transition from red to black on the mirror looked really cool. At first I thought you were going to leave it that way. However, the ALL black SHINE is really awesome looking!

    xo
    ~Kolein

    ReplyDelete
  9. In my house we have these odd, wierd vents. Being in real estate for 10 years & in visiting hundreds of houses, I have never seen anything like them before. So in a desparate effort to make them look less ugly I sprayed them all copper. To my suprise they came out beautiful & people have actaully asked where I got them!!!
    Spray paint is a wonderful thing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great transformations Lisa, and I am really digging the vents!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have many of these ugly register covers in my home. I think I want to do what you did and spray paint them.

    -Zane of ontario honey

    ReplyDelete

shinarmountaindesign@gmail.com